Senior Technical Writer
Pentaho is a very contemporary, up trending, Scrum, software development company. The work environment is transparent, open, flexible, loosely structured, and entrepreneurial. Writers who are successful at Pentaho exhibit these characteristics.
- Mature work ethics, practical wisdom, and proactive foresight
- Fearless drive to attach projects in the face of the impossible
- Passionate about getting things done while meeting quality standards and deadlines
- Adaptable when working collaboratively with others
- Team oriented
Pentaho Technical Writers work as members of the Technical Documentation Team within the Engineering Department. They have a proven background in writing software technical documentation for a diverse audience, including end-users, solution developers, business analysts, system administrators, and software integrators. They work symbiotically with software developers, product management, and quality engineers to create product documentation for the Pentaho Business Analytics and Data Integration products.
If this sounds like you, please read on to validate you have the appropriate technical requirements before submitting your résumé. Also, be advised that if you pass the résumé and phone screening, you will be asked to do a writing test before moving on to in-person interviews. We look forward to meeting qualified applicants. Here are the details.
- 4 or more years experience writing and editing technical communications materials related to business analytics, development and deployment of business analysis software applications and solutions, IT systems, and technical services
- Lead technical documentation projects and acquire specific expertise using Pentaho software products
- Reliably meet deadlines related to scheduled content updates, content changes for immediate release to customers and prospects, and software release dates
- Simultaneously handle multiple tasks and projects
- Conduct interviews and attend meetings with technical representatives and other stakeholders to gather pertinent background and technical input for writing projects
- Participate on Scrum teams that work in 2 or 3 week sprints delivering completed and approved content at end of sprint
- Participate in product development meetings to stay abreast of product changes
- Actively work to enhance documentation based on customer and employee feedback
- Work with task-oriented, topic-based content in a DITA and WIKI-based publishing environment
- Share knowledge and expertise to make technical writing processes and procedures more efficient
- Work with technical communications teammates to develop standards, templates, information architecture and to ensure the quality of Pentaho’s technical communications products
- Interact with and support customers, partners, and the open source community
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in a team environment, including advanced spelling, grammar, and information modeling skills
- Open attitude for receiving critique and suggestions about work products and work style
- Experience writing HTML content and working with CSS
- Hands-on experience with database administration and query languages or system administration on Linux and Windows computers
- 4-year University degree in English, Journalism, Technical Writing Computer Science or equivalent in related field
- 2 years experience with project management
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills
- Focused team player, who takes pride in crafting high quality content
- Self-motivating, self-managing, responsible, independent thinker, who works well in a fast-paced, Scrum, flexible work environment
- Fearless about approaching and learning new technologies and applying new methodologies
- Understanding of Agile, Scrum, or other iterative software development methodologies
- Knowledge of Business Intelligence tools and concepts including ETL, OLAP, Charting, Dashboards, and Reporting
- Experience with DITA and topic-based authoring
- Familiarity with commercial open source software business practices
Pentaho is building the future of business analytics. Pentaho’s open source heritage drives continued innovation in its modern, integrated, embeddable Business Analytics platform. Built for blending and accessing all data sources across the platform includes a spectrum of visualization and analytical tools, including predictive. With an industry-leading adaptive big data layer Pentaho supports all of the leading Hadoop distributions, NoSQL databases and high performance analytic databases. Pentaho offers the broadest support for big data analytics, integration, and orchestration of big and traditional data sources eliminating coding or advanced skills. The company has over 1200 commercial customers today, with over 10,000 production deployments. For more information, please visit www.pentaho.com.
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, which includes medical and dental coverage, life insurance and 401(k) plan.
Please forward cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.